Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Big Girls Don't Cry

We have a new rule in the house: no human interest stories around me while I'm pregnant.  I decided that we needed this rule after I started crying while watching a segment on the 6:00 news, and then again in a clip from "American Idol," and I don't even like the show.  Even before I was pregnant, it honestly didn't take much to make start crying.  But now, I can cry at anything.  Ryan and I were watching an episode of "How I Met Your Mother" one night (the one where Marshall suprises Lily at airport) and Ryan couldn't believe it when he looked over and saw tears streaming down my face.  What can I say?  It was a very sweet moment on the show.

I knew that there would be a lot of crazy things happening during the next nine months.  However, I didn't know that they would start so soon.  Almost immediately after getting pregnant I discovered the most devastating food aversion: chocolate.  I tried eating some about a week after we found out, and was surprised when my stomach was so upset that evening.  I brushed it off though, and tried to eat a few pieces the next day.  And fifteen minutes later couldn't understand why my stomach was so mad.  It was then that I put two and two together: the baby doesn't like chocolate. Whoa.  I was not prepared for this.  There have been multiple times that I have tried sneaking a bite in- brownies over Thanksgiving, a bite size 3 Musketeer, a few chocolate chips.  Each time, I get awful stomach cramps.  It doesn't even sound good most of the time now; it's just something that I remember fondly in my past.  Chocolate and I have a long history together, and there's been some great memories. I can only hope that after the baby is born, I can once again enjoy the rich, delicious taste.

But, like with most first loves I've moved on: to strawberries.  And mangos and raspberries and nectarines and kiwis. So, although I may be crying while watching the news, I at least have strawberries to cheer me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment