Wow, what a crazy 48 hours it has been. It all started Tuesday afternoon when I began having some light spotting. So far in this pregnancy there hadn't been anything out of the ordinary, it had all been very standard and textbook. Everything changed Tuesday though. My doctor told me to take it easy that night, stay off my feet, and come into her office in the morning. So Ryan and I went to her office on Wednesday, and she checked the baby's heartbeat (162), examined me, and had an ultrasound done. Everything seemed to be ok, so I thought that was it and it was just a little scare. But it wasn't over.
Later that afternoon, I began to have some moderate to light bleeding with clots. After another phone call to the doctor, she told me it was probably nothing, but she had received the results from my ultrasound and it showed that I had a low lying placenta so she wanted me to go see a high-risk doctor for a sonogram just in case. I was to stay off my feet the rest of the night, no lifting, no standing, and she would schedule an appointment for me. As the afternoon went on, and the bleeding continued I really began to panic and worry. It was so scary to know that there wasn't anything I could to stop whatever was happening, and that I just had to wait.
So, this afternoon my mom and sister went with me to have the second ultrasound done. The doctor measured each little thigh bone, each little arm, showed us the heart, and told me that the baby was healthy and doing great. The baby was measuring at exactly 17 weeks like we thought and weighs seven ounces. And then he told me that he was 100% sure it was a girl. There was our perfect little girl waving her arms and kicking her feet on the screen.
He told me that the placenta probably was the cause of the bleeding, but it wasn't in a position that would cause concern, nor did he see anything concerning. He told me that if I don't have any more bleeding between now and my next doctor's appointment then I should be okay. But, another episode of bleeding would lead to serious complications, including losing the baby. So, I am on bed rest for the next ten days and am not allowed to do anything except sit and work on my laptop.
While the next week should be interesting to see how I handle bed rest, I'm so thankful that everything is ok. It was such a relief to know that the baby is healthy and to get to see her in the sonogram. And we're so excited to be having a little girl!!
Congratulations on a baby girl!! I'm sorry there have been concerns, you guts are in my prayers!
ReplyDelete