We couldn't be more excited about our "condition", and July will be the best month since we've been married. I'll also be honest--we weren't planning on being pregnant right now.
We've always planned on having kids, and being pregnant is an obvious part of that, just not right...now. Sara travels a lot for work, usually from Monday to Thursday night, and we don't get to see as much of each other as we'd like to. I'd worried about having kids at this stage of our life because the one thing that everyone tells you about having a child is that once you find out that you're pregnant everything in your life changes. Frankly, I wasn't ready for my life to change. I was ready for the love of my life to be in the same city as me seven days a week, and get to spend time with her every day. Adding a child (and all that comes with it) was not on my checklist.
That being said, I wanted to want kids, and knew that my attitude had to change before we added a third member to our family. I had to let it go. There is no perfect time to have them. I prayed about to be able to change my attitude about it, to not stress about not being able to have as much one-on-one time with my wife before we have a kid. I woke up one morning, and realized that I was okay with it--having and raising a child was bigger than how much time I got to spend with Sara.
10 days later I saw two lines.
When Sara texted me from Denver International Airport to tell me that she was going to pick up a pregnancy test on her way home, I was slightly surprised. We had no idea that this would be coming, but I was fine with it. Almost excited, even. On my way home to our apartment, I realized that I wanted us to be pregnant. I would be disappointed if it was negative.
I walked into our apartment, and when a shell shocked Sara handed me the white stick from CVS, I knew what I'd find. Or thought I'd find. I saw two lines. I was hoping for a clear answer. I'm a guy, we prefer things to be as easy possible. Why didn't we buy the test that instead of vertical lines displays "Pregnant" or "Not Pregnant"? I've seen them, I know they exist (for some reason they're advertised during every NFL game). Once I decoded the one or two line issue and hugged and kissed Sara, I realized she'd been silent the entire time. She couldn't believe that this was real, and wasn't 100% sure that it was.
She said she'd spent ten minutes sitting on the floor in shock after seeing the two lines, and still hadn't recovered. As excited as she was, she just felt like this couldn't be happening. It was too surreal. After an hour or so she decided to get more clarity, and took another test. It too, came up positive. We kept talking, and letting this sink in. We were going to have a baby.
But it seemed like she was still skeptical. She would mention things like "if the test is right", this will be amazing. "As long as it's true", we'll need some nursery furniture. I knew she knew it was 99% a sure thing, but needed something to assure her that her tests had not been a fake. She had not gotten the ONE three pack box that were giving out false positives to unsuspecting women.
I had to do anything I could to help give her peace of mind.
The tests working fine: one of us is not pregnant.
No comments:
Post a Comment