Saturday, January 29, 2011

We're having a....Pirate Ship?

At week 7 we went to the OBGYN to hear baby's heartbeat, and get a sonogram. I didn't expect to be able to count the dimples on our child's face, or tell what color hair it would have, but I guess I did have some misconceptions about the quality of the images.

Hearing the heartbeat was amazing and each time I've heard it since, it makes my life stop. But when they handed me the printouts from the sonogram, I wondered if I had to cross my eyes and tilt my head slightly to the left in order to see anything. It was a blob. I mean, I GUESS there was something there, but I found myself nodding and saying "oh, yeah, there it is" to everything the nurse was pointing out. And how did I know that SHE could see anything either? She could have pointed to a pixel blip on the page and told me that was my baby's hand, and I'd never know the difference.

It instantly took me back to those Magic Eye books and posters from 1994--of which, the only one I ever successfully saw was the pirate ship (in every other case, I blatantly lied about being able to see the Polar Bear drinking a Coke or grasshopper balancing on a dandelion).

See for yourself.





If you look at the sonogram and uncross your eyes for precisely 47 seconds, you can see our baby practicing the Heisman pose.

No comments:

Post a Comment